Resident Code of Conduct
Swuite Halls of Residence
Title: GHR Resident Code of Conduct
Issue Date: September 2017
Related Documents: GHR Resident Disciplinary Procedure
Effective From: September 2017
1.1 To set down the code of conduct expected of the residents of Swuite.
1.2 To highlight what is considered misconduct under this code.
2.1 This Code of Conduct applies to all persons in residence in the premises of Swuite Bohermore.
2.2 This Code of Conduct comes into force when an offer of a place in Swuite Bohermore is accepted and remains in force whilst students are residing on its premises or taking part in any of its associated events.
3.1 Swuite Management aims to provide a safe and welcoming environment for its residents and staff. In order to achieve this, a standard of conduct is necessary on the part of residents and staff. This document outlines that standard of conduct expected of residents (as defined in 2.1 and 2.2).
3.2 This document will be updated regularly.
4. Resident Code of Conduct
4.1 All residents are expected to be considerate to the needs of fellow residents, staff and any authorised visitors to Swuite Bohermore.
4.2 All residents are expected not to engage in any conduct which is intended or is likely to disrupt teaching, learning, study, research, ceremonies, recreational activities, meetings, examinations, administration or other activities undertaken by Swuite or organised as part of its approved activities.
4.3 All residents shall take responsibility, for the actions of their invited guests.
4.4 All residents are expected to respect the property of Swuite Bohermore and not to use it for unapproved purposes.
5. Resident Misconduct
The following shall constitute misconduct:
- Breaches of the terms of the lease.
- Obstruction of, or improper interference with, the functions, duties or activities of any resident, member of staff or other employee of Swuite Bohermore, or any authorised visitor of Swuite.
- Violent, indecent, disorderly, threatening or offensive behaviour or language whilst on Swuite Bohermore premises.
- Fraud, deceit, deception or dishonesty in relation to Swuite Bohermore or its staff or in connection with holding any position in Swuite or in relation to being a resident of Swuite.
- Action likely to cause injury or impair safety on the Swuite.
- Sexual or racial harassment of any resident, member of staff or other employee of Swuite Bohermore or any authorised visitor,
any behaviour of a hostile or intimidatory nature aimed at individuals or groups of people.
- Damage to, or defacement of the property or the property of other residents or staff of Swuite Bohermore caused intentionally or recklessly, or misappropriation of such property.
- Misuse or unauthorised use of the premises or items of property, including computer / network misuse.
- Conduct which constitutes a criminal offence where that conduct:
takes place on the Swuite Bohermore premises,
affects or concerns other residents or staff of Swuite Bohermore,
damages the good name of Swuite,
itself constitutes misconduct within the terms of this code,
is an offence of dishonesty, where the resident holds a position of responsibility in Swuite Bohermore.
- Breaches of the subsidiary codes (eg. Computer network use) where the behaviour complained of cannot be dealt with satisfactorily under those codes.
- Behaviour which brings Swuite Bohermore into disrepute.
- Failure to comply with proper directions given by an officer or employee of Swuite.
- Failure to comply with a previously imposed penalty under this Resident Code of Conduct.
6. Breaches of the Code of Conduct
6.1 A resident who is suspected of breaching the Code of Conduct shall be subject to Swuite Disciplinary Procedure.
Your guide to living at Swuite Bohermore
- Moving in
- Useful Information
- Mission Statement
- Our Promise
- Basic Rules
- Useful Contacts
- Food and Coffee
- Going Out
- Policy Documents
What should I do first?Tour the building.
Introduce yourself at reception. We'd love to meet you and show you around.
Follow us on social media
Say hello your neighbours.
Don't be shy.
What do I need when moving in?All of our suites are fully furnished and equipped for our residents, however you will need:
Toilet roll, washing up liquid, soap, shower gel etc.
And your good self!
Your rent includes
Digital TV channels
High speed WIFI
Fully furnished suites
Office hours are:
Monday to Friday: 9:00am to 17:30pm
Saturday to Sunday: Closed
Office hours number: 091 753781
We have a team of staff working 24/ 7 including concierge / porter / security staff outside of office hours and you can contact them on 087 352 6307
We recommend you save both of these numbers to your mobile devices.
Swuite Manager : Susan Clancy
Follow us on social media| |
Mission StatementSwuite Bohermore will be focused on creating a well-run, safe and secure environment for all our Swuite Students. We will strive to make it feel like a home away from home, where both students & parents will have peace of mind. We will look after your needs in a friendly, supportive and reliable way.
Swuite and its occupants acknowledge and respect the rights of adjoining residents and businesses to a quiet life and will work to ensure that these rights are not compromised by their actions. We operate a quiet hours policy between 11pm and 7:30am each night.
Residents of Swuite will be required to sign a Licence to Reside agreeing to a code of conduct for the duration of their residency. We ask that you remain mindful of this throughout your stay and remain considerate and respectful of your neighbouring residents.
We encourage harmony among residents, so we will all get along swimmingly and have great fun living here whilst remaining respectful of the surrounding community and considerate of the environment. #keepitswuite
Our PromiseFriendly welcoming team of staff always on hand to assist you 24/7. We will strive to meet and or exceed your expectations.
Full transparency on occupancy fees at all times, there are no additional charges.
A timely turn around on maintenance issues. Report them to us and we will resolve to fix them as speedily and efficiently as we can.
We hire In-house Residential Assistants to encourage a sense of community and integrity. Student involvement is paramount to us harbouring a safe & enjoyable community.
Basic RulesClean Spaces
Look after your space, keep it clean and tidy.
Remember to regularly remove rubbish bags and dispose of them in the correct bins in the bin storage area in the basement.
Be sure to wash up all your dishes, and be careful not to block the kitchen sink. Avoid pouring oils and fats down the drain.
Ensure all hair is removed from the shower to prevent it from causing unnecessary blockages.
Allow us access to your room for monthly inspections and to fix any issues you may have.
Alcohol and Smoking
No parties. No alcohol in common areas except in reception area with prior permission from the House Manager.
Strictly no smoking policy inside the Swuite premises use the designated smoking areas only. €100 fine if caught.
Keep noise to a minimum both inside & outside the building.
Between the hours of 23:00 and 07:30 Swuite operates a period of ‘Quiet Hours’.
It is illegal to tamper with fire quipment and could result in a €150 fine.
Only one guest permitted per resident at all times. All guests must be signed in at reception.
Replacement key cards cost €12.50.
Thank you for you cooperation with Swuite Bohermore.
Familiarise yourself with our house rules and policies/procedures.
All maintenance issues will be prioritised using the ticketing system.
Priority One: 24 hour turnaround (emergency issue)
Priority Two: within 5 working days (urgent repairs)
Priority Three: within 28 days of being reported. (non-urgent repairs)
- Tampering with fire detection and safety equipment is a crime and may result in a fine (€150) or prosecution
- Take time to familiarise yourself with the fire assembly point and the fire notices displayed. Make sure you know where your closest fire exit is
- Fire alarm tests are held weekly so familiarise yourself with when this is (Wednesdays @ 11:00am)
- Do not use lifts during a fire drill or a real evacuation
- Each suite is fitted with a fire blanket.
- Strictly No Smoking Policy inside Swuite premises, use designated Smoking Areas Only. €100 Fine if caught!
- The use of illegal substances on Swuite premises is strictly forbidden
- Student accommodation is often seen as a soft target for thieves. Always lock your windows and doors when you are not in
- Be aware of your personal safety, particularly in relation to letting anyone you don’t know into the residence - it is better to be safe than to give access to someone who could cause problems
- The use of candle and any form of naked flames is not aloud in a students apartment
- First aid supplies are available from reception should you need any minor injury treatment
- A member of staff must be notified in the event of an emergency so they can request the appropriate emergency services required.
Post and ParcelsAll parcels go to reception. A text will be sent to your mobile to let you know it is here.
Please make sure all post is addressed correctly and includes your full name and your room number.
We will sign for a package on your behalf if you are not in the building to do it yourself.
Post will be distributed into your post-box for your collection.
We will do our best to look after parcels, but in the unlikely event of something going wrong, we will not be liable for any damage or loss of a parcel you have authorised us to accept on your behalf.
It is your responsibility to ensure that any customs charges are paid in full.
Useful ContactsSwuite 24/7 mobile 0873526307
Millstreet Garda Station (091) 538000 /999/112
Ambulance service 999/112
Fire service 999/112
WestDoc 1850 365000
Samaritans Galway 091 561222 (local call charges apply) 116 123 (this number is free to call)
Citizens Information 091-53344
Counselling service Galway 086 823 1670
PRTB 8:00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday - 01-702 8100 or 0818 30 30 37
Boots Pharmacy Headford road 091 567 901
Procabs(Taxi) Eyre Square, Galway 091 565900
Money advice and budgeting service Quay Street, Galway. 0761 07 2570
Aware Galway Sea Road, Galway city 1800 80 48 48
UCHG; Newcastle Road, Galway, County Galway, Tel: +353 91 580580
Merlin Park Regional Hospital; Merlin Park, Galway City Tel: +353 (0)91 775775
Bon Secours Hospital; Renmore, Galway City Tel: +353 (0)91 757711
Galway Clinic; Doughiska, Galway City Tel: +353 (091) 785000
Getting AroundFor buses, see Bus Eireann website
For students attending NUIG or the University Hospital the 405 bus stop is located just at the rear of the building which will drop you to the gate lodge entrance of NUIG and a returning bus is also running which will drop you back to the rear of the Swuite building. A copy of this timetable is available at reception.
For students attending GMIT the 409 bus can be got from the side of the G Hotel which is a 5 minute walk from the Swuite building. For Rail, see Irish rail for timetables and departures
18 min walk 1.4km away from Swuite.
Taxi services, see useful contacts at reception.
NUIG (2km) 25 min walk
GMIT (2.5km) 30 min walk
GMIT Cluain Mhuire (1km) 13 min walk
University Hospital (2.3km) 28 min walk
Eyre Square (1.3km) 17 min walk
Galway shopping centre (750m) 9 min walk
Petrol station/ATM/24hr shop (140m) 2 min walk
Tesco (800m) 10 min walk
Boots pharmacy (800m) 10 min walk
Dough Bro’s ~ Pizza
Boojum ~ Mexican Restaurant
Lana Asian Street Food – Salthill
Mc Donaghs ~ Best Fish n Chips in town
The Pie Maker
Burgatory – Mean Machine Burgers
Light House Vegetarian Restaurant
Coffeewerk & Press ~Quay Street
The Jungle Café
Going OutBars and Clubs
An Pucan Bar/food
Roisin Dubh Live Music
The Kings Head Bar/food
Tigh Coilis Bar
The Quays Bar/food
Tigh Nora Bar/food
Bierhaus – Craft Beers
Bite Club – Boozy Cocktails
Electric Club , 44 Club, DNA Club.
Eye Cinema Wellpark €5 ruby Tuesday (student special).
IMC Cinema Headford road €5 student Wednesday.
Town Hall Theatre Woodquay.
The Planet Headford road
Buy a drink and get a free game of bowling from 7pm every Monday and Tuesday
Free things to do in Galway
Stroll on Salthill Promenade
Experience Trad Music
Escape the City go Island hopping
Galway Arts Centre
Charlie Byrnes Bookstore
Visit Galway Markets
Explore the Claddagh (Irelands Oldest Fishing Village)
Visit Merlin Woods
Galway Cathedral/former prison
Galway City Museum
Simple Tips to Be Mindful of Energy Consumption & Help the Environment
- Switch off all appliances when you have finished cooking
- Keep a lid on it – saucepans
- Reduce Reuse Recycle
- We have ample bicycle parking in the basement, cycle or walk where possible
- Remove key cards when you are leaving your room (do not place any other type of card in the key card slot)
- Plug out everything before leaving your room
- Don’t leave water running for long periods of time.
Take a look at this guide from our recycling partner Barna Recyling to assist you with your recycling efforts.